Trump's 'Board of Peace' gets $7B in pledges from first meeting

· Toronto Sun

The inaugural meeting of U.S. President Donald Trump’s Gaza “Board of Peace” resulted in nine member states pledging more than $7 billion.

And the President once again called on the despotic regime of Iran to shutter its dangerous nuclear weapons program, saying that nuclear-armed Iranian mullahs aren’t compatible with peace in the Middle East.

Visit lebandit.lat for more information.

“Now is the time for Iran to join us on a path that will complete what we’re doing,” Trump said during a speech Thursday in Washington.

“If they join us, that’ll be great — if they don’t join us, that’ll be great too, but it’ll be a very different path. They cannot continue to threaten the stability of the entire region, and they must make a deal … if it doesn’t happen it doesn’t happen, but bad things will happen if it doesn’t.”

Board of Peace launched in Davos

Thursday’s meeting came one month after Trump officially launched the board at the World Economic Forum (WEF) meeting in Davos, Switzerland — an initiative meant to support the shaky ceasefire between Israel and Hamas and oversee reconstruction in Gaza.

Israel launched military operations to eliminate Hamas shortly after the terror group’s devastating Oct. 7, 2023 terror attack, which saw members of the Palestinian terror group unleash a campaign of murder, kidnappings and sexual assaults against Gaza-adjacent Israeli towns and villages.

Alongside the $7 billion committed by member states, the United States pledged a further $10 billion to support the board’s efforts.

Canada’s invitation rescinded by Trump

Twenty-seven nations are currently signed onto the board, chaired by Trump himself, which offers nations the opportunity to join for three year terms, or purchase a permanent seat for $1 billion.

Members of the board include Israel, Indonesia, Hungary, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.

Canada’s invitation to join the board was rescinded by Trump late last month , shortly after Prime Minister Mark Carney’s Davos speech that was critical of U.S. foreign policy under Trump’s leadership — part of ongoing diplomatic spats between the two nations.

While Canada had indicated a willingness to take part in the initiative, Ottawa said it would not pay the $1 billion fee to join as a permanent member.

Around 60 nations were invited to take part, with the White House indicating a little over half that number have agreed to sign on.

[email protected]

Read at source